Friday, November 14, 2008

Last (and very very belated) travelogs

So here are the last of the travelogs from Tom's trip. I have been meaning to get to this for, oh, 5 weeks or so now -- yikes!)

----------------------------
Tom's Travelog Day 6 (Fri)
Subject: The Team


So I bet you're wondering who it is I'm working with here in Ireland. Well, it's a very eclectic group of people. They don't look like much, but they are pretty special: First there's Igor, he's from Norway. I think he's part giant. He is so tall that he has to crouch down every time that he walks through a doorway. Igor is quite an unusual giant. Unlike most giants, he doesn't build windmills. Igor is a programming Giant - very unique. He sits in a human sized chair (it looks kind of funny) and he hunches over his keyboard, pecking in code one key at a time. He is wonderful boisterous character and tends to let loose with a burst of uproarious laughter at unpredictable moments.

Next to Igor the giant sits Louise - I think she might be a seal maiden. It's pretty hard to tell of course unless you can find where they keep their furs. She is one of the testers for the team. I'm guessing that seal maidens are very patient sorts of people. In the stories they are always waiting for somebody or something. I'm sure that suits her well in her current position - waiting patiently for developers write decent code. I haven't heard her singing, but she has a very pretty voice with a lovely Irish lilt to it. And of course there is no discernible smell of the sea about her or anything like that. I understand that seal maidens are hard to identify - so I keep a wary eye ut for her. There is lots of water next to the office. She can just duck out and take a quick splash in the time it takes you and me to have a coffee break. I think I saw her pull a small strand of seaweed out of her hair this morning though...

Then there is Nigel. Nigel has the look of a poet - a truly bizarre creature indeed. He looks like you or me, but he tends to speak in verse. Oh, poets do tend to dress with their own sort of tattered style - sort of early modern gypsy. He has a somewhat frantic air about him, like perhaps he just lost his pen and he has something really important to write down. He's a bit on the messy side, but apparently he writes great code - it always rhymes (trust me, that is very, very hard to do).

The rest of the office is pretty normal - there is Seamus and Fergal - two very jolly Irishmen. You just don't get much more Irish than these two. They have mischievous smiles, quick wits, and they are always ready with a yarn. They lead this band of mystical characters and I can think of no better team. You see I think that if your team is made up of giants and seal maidens and heaven forbid, poets - well, let's just say you might need an Irishman or two to keep them all under control. Fortunately I'm a little bit Irish (which means you are too). I guess that's a lucky thing for me. So when I'm working with the team, I keep a four leaf clover in my pocket and I try to think Irish thoughts. It seems to have worked well so far.

Ireland is a wonderful place, but Pixies, Leprechauns, and even Giants are no match for wee daughters. I miss you guys and I'm going to hop on the first plane home.

----------------------------
Tom's Travelog Day 7 (Sat)
Subject: Belfast



The skies are slate grey this morning. Pretty much like every morning here. There is a fresh breeze blowing and the clouds are doing that thing that some writers describe as "scudding". They seem to ride over the hills, bouncing along the countryside. I think it lends a rather romantic character to the rugged scenery here.

Speaking of rugged scenery, I went to visit Belfast Castle today. It is on a hillside with a dramatic view overlooking the city and the harbor. It is a lovely castle with lots of narrow windows, jutting turrets, ramparts, and other generally castle-like things. It brings to mind thoughts of stalwart men and fine ladies in white gowns. Like so many of the castles here, you don't need to wait for a tour guide. You just let yourself in and go where ever you like. Of course you make sure to close the portcullis when you leave. Belfast Castle is a relatively modern castle and is well kept up. They hold weddings in the castle and out on the lovely grounds surrounding the castle (on those rare and magical days when it doesn't rain). I drifted through the castle, wandering up spiral staircases in the turrets, and following dark hallways that led into small rooms with breathtaking views of the city.

It is a lovely castle and it seems like not an entirely foolhardy place to get married - if one were inclined to do so. One interesting note: the castle sits just below a sort of rocky bluff or cliff face. This is the bluff that apparently inspired Johnathan Swift's description of the giants in "Gulliver's Travels". I looked at the cliff and guess what? I could see the giants face too! He's kind of a grumpy looking fellow - sporting a bit of an attitude if you ask me. He has an expression on his face that seems to say, "Why are you bothering me little man?"

I left the estate and headed back to the airport for my flight home. I drove through the countryside one last time, and took in the sights. The hills are almost a shocking shade of green here - nearly neon really. I think I could explore northern Ireland for weeks given half a chance.

No comments: