Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer begins...

After a very unusual 30 days without rain here in the Land of Sog, summer officially arrived this weekend with (you guessed it) rain! Figures. That said, it's shaping up to be a great summer for us.

We spent Friday and Saturday running back and forth to our gymnastic gym with the girls for 2 dress rehearsals and the performance of the year-end gala. I decided that for Tot 2.0, her dress rehearsal would be her performance experience. But Kid 1.0 got the full deal, with a dress rehearsal and the big show on Saturday night. That dropped our number of trips to the gym to 4 instead of 5 :-)

The pre-schooler kids were priceless, dressed in giraffe-patterned leotards and running around the gym tumbling to music from "George of the Jungle".

Tot 2.0 (at center) in the preschool gymnastics group.

Kid 1.0's group was small, only two from her class could make the show, so her instructor, John (the least-likely looking gymnastic instructor ever -- but really great) did their floor routine with them. Kid 1.0 tried her best and seemed to really enjoy the show, little drama queen that she is :-).

Kid 1.0 showing her best back-bend ever at her show.

We had a great Father's Day, beginning with brunch at a local lake-front restaurant, then a walk to watch the ducks on said lake, and some play time at a nearby park. Tom got some new pics of the girls for his space at work, and a gift certificate for a router table at Sears.

Father's Day on Silver Lake dock.

In case you missed my announcement on FB, I've decided to take a "sabbatical" from work for the next few months, in order to regroup personally, enjoy my family, and try to de-junk my house yet again. I began that last bit yesterday with an archeological dig to the surface of my dining table. Did you know it's glass? I had kind of forgotten. Today I took about 10 bags of stuff to my favorite kid's consignment store and the Goodwill. YAY!

After the dining room table dig, I took Kid 1.0 to the mall to get her ears pierced. Now, before you start in on that (my God, she's barely 6, what are you thinking?!?) let me tell you about the plan. I had decided ages ago, based on the pains that my parents put my through when I asked to get my ears pierced (I'll gloss over the nasty after-effects of the first attempt), that my girls could get their ears pierced as soon as they were old enough to come to me and ask -- no artificially imposed age requirement here!

So, when K1.0 expressed interest in her friends earrings and asked if she could pierce her ears about 2 months ago, I called my sister for advice :-)

We decided that the kicker was her being responsible enough to manage cleaning and caring for newly pierced ears for the requisite 6 weeks while they heal. With that in mind, I talked to K1.0 about it, and we devised a plan. For the following 6 weeks, basically until the last day of school, she needed to complete her morning and bedtime routines by herself, with me only asking once. For each instance that she did that, she would get a check on her chart. The idea here was to prove that she could take care of self-care business without me nagging her. We also talked about how it hurt to get ears pierced, and that she wouldn't be able to wear "fancy" (mommy-style dangling earrings) for a long long time.

Duly motivated, she came through with about a 90% success rate, so I agreed she could get her ears done. She was a trooper, although she did cry for a little bit right after it was done. Then, she skipped through the rest of her day on Cloud 9, telling everyone who would listen about her ears. And I'm proud to say that so far, she's been great about doing the 3x daily cleaning routine.

Kid 1.0 getting her ears pierced at the mall.

Look at those shiny new earrings!

I think that has us all caught up for now. I am completing my last week of work before my sabbatical begins, then we'll be free to explore and play. Hopefully my blogging will be a little more regular -- or at least more interesting -- as a result.

Take care all!

No comments: