Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tom's traveling again...and seeing dragons in flight!

Tom has headed off to Belfast again, and is providing us with his usual entertainment. Here is the first installment of his stories to the girls for this trip.


----------------
NIGHT FLIGHT

There is something genuinely fantastic about waking up on a plane at night, traveling at 500 miles an hour, 40,000 feet in the air, somewhere over the Atlantic ocean. I can see the stars outside my window, and for just a brief moment I have that magical feeling of genuine glee that I used to get as a child when I would press my nose against the airplane window and watch the patchwork quilt of the world slowly drift below.

In the darkness there really is no way to tell where we are. We could be flying anywhere in the entire world. I can't see the ocean below me. There is only the faintest hint of cirrus clouds far below reflected in the meager starlight. They could be covering any land and I wouldn't be the wiser. We could be flying over Katmandu. Miles below me there could be Tibetans in rustic villages sleeping soundly, completely unaware I'm speeding by overhead. There could be exotic steamy jungles full of black panthers prowling for prey beneath my feet. In the darkness, with just the faintest hint of twilight on the horizon, it seems like a moment full of possibility.

I can't tell what constellation those stars form. It could be Draco the dragon. I'm really not sure. They have kind of a snaky pattern to them. I think I like that idea - let's call them Draco. Tonight, high in the sky, I travel in the company of dragons. I've heard that dragons sometimes like to fly in formation with jets.

It's hard to tell if there are real dragons out there tonight or not. If I put my face to the window and look really hard, I think I can just make out dark, sinuous shapes of some form just beyond the the reach of the plane's wing. It's so hard to see dragons at night. If there were a full moon out I bet I might be able to see them flying all around the plane, necks outstretched, moonlight reflecting off of powerful wings in the rarefied aether outside. But it's so hard to tell in the dark. I can see a light flashing on the wingtip of the plane. Perhaps, if I keep my eyes wide open, I might see that flash of light reflected ever so briefly in a an enormous catlike, reptilian eye. I might catch a glint of gold reflected off of slippery scales. That would be something truly worth seeing.

I wonder if the dragons will follow us all the way to Ireland? It's a long way and I'm sure their wings would get tired. But I've always thought of dragons as incredibly old and powerful creatures, so I believe they can do it. Maybe if I keep watching I'll be able to catch sight of one of the dragons in the sunrise. I bet that would be beautiful. You don't get to see dragons very often any more, especially at sunrise. It must be a dazzling sight, with the pink rays of the morning sun reflecting off of their serpentine silhouettes. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for them as the sun rises.

I'm sure they are out there in the dark, watching me looking at them. They're probably thinking, "How do I get that tasty morsel out of the can?" So I guess I'm glad I'm on the inside of the plane and not doing something silly like sitting on the wing. Because then I would probably be an appetizer. You know, now that I think of it, I should keep an eye out for flames. You know, dragon breath. With all of that dragon exercise going on out there, all it would take is a little indigestion, just a hint of a sour stomach, and there could be an incredible belch. I bet a healthy dose of dragon breath would peel the paint right off the plane. It could happen. All the more reason to keep my eyes peeled.

I don't think I'm going to tell the other passengers about the dragons. I don't think they would understand. They're all sleeping anyway. No need to run around the cabin screaming, "Look! Dragons! Look!" But it would be fun. I bet the dragons would think it was funny.

I wonder if they have runways dedicated to dragons at the Belfast International Airport? I bet they do - now that I think of it, I've seen them before on previous trips. The planes land on the runway marked with a 'P' and the dragons probably land on the runway marked 'D'. That makes sense. Seriously.

Of course, if you have dragons at the airport where would you keep them? You can't just let them wander through the terminals eating the tourists. You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure those are airplane hangers at the Belfast Airport. I've never seen them with the doors open. I bet those are for the dragons. I imagine that they just keep them filled with straw or something soft for the dragons to sleep on. Maybe gold? I'd like to try sleeping on a big pile of gold sometime - just to see what it's like. You know - those hangers are probably just dragon barns. I guess that's why they raise so many sheep near the airport - you have to keep the dragons fed. You don't want them getting peckish.

You know, the problem with modern air travel is that it's too noisy. You can't hear the roar of the dragons over the infernal racket of those engines. So when the dragons roar, you don't hear anything - I bet it just looks like they are yawning. I'd give anything to hear a dragon roar just once in my lifetime. I bet it's scary. Even scarier than seeing a spider in the bathtub. Even scarier than a popping balloon. I mean REALLY scary.

Well, these dragons are probably ready for bed. Are you? Well then, I'll keep an eye out for the dragons. You guys go on and go to sleep. If I see them again (and I'm really quite positive that I shall) then I'll tell you guys all about it.

Good night,
Dad

P.S. I took a picture of the dragons for you. See if you can find them.


No comments: