The first piece of really exciting news I have is that K1.0 read a whole book herself today! She sat next to me with an extrememly simple first reader (all 3 letter and "sight" words, like "a" and "the"), and she sounded them all out and read it! I was so proud! She also lost her 3rd tooth last weekend, so is now all but gap-toothed for the holidays, with 3 of the 4 front teeth missing.
Now, some follow-up from Thanksgiving. We had a great time with a good friends over for dinner. I cooked up all the traditional fare, with both a deep-fried turkey and a beef rib roast, so all were well fed. Tom made a "turkey tower" again to lower the bird into the hot oil, not out of necessity, but because K1.0 requested it. It was a great day; even when my friend C. and I dropped the turkey off the platter and on to the stove (thank God not the floor), while trying to pour drippings into the gravy. Certainly worth a good laugh! And before you ask (I know you will), our friend, E., below, is all of 7' tall...and yes, he plays basketball!
We have started into the swing of Christmas. It happens slowly around here, as I don't really like to rush the holiday, but savor its approach. We had a neighborhood holiday dinner last Saturday, and my company had our holiday party Sunday. Tom's company party is this coming Friday, then on Saturday we'll take the girls to our traditional Santa breakfast and we'll get our tree too. With the tree in the house the celebrating will really begin at home as I try to figure out how to wrap and mail and decorate with the kids in tow, and B2.0 no doubt destroying everything behind me.
Back to some more mundane business...I am sorry to say that B2.0 has not persued the potty with any more vigor. I usually get her there once a day, but generally she is not super interested. Oh well, this is one of those things not to be rushed or fought over. It just doesn't pay.
K1.0 has received her first school "evaluation report" which is four full pages(!) of information on her academic progress. I am happy to say that she is doing well, as I expected. I have my first parent-teacher conference this week as well, and don't imagine I'll have any surprises. I think her biggest challenges are around focusing on her own work and not "sharing with her neighbors" too much.
So that's all for now...I'll try to get back before Christmas with Santa pictures if I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment