Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Oh what fun...

It has been an absolutely insane holiday.

It all started with a snowstorm and cold snap that began on Dec. 13/14. We got several inches of snow, which (most uncharacteristically) stayed on the ground for days on end because of high temps that were in the mid 20s! K1.0's last week of school before the holiday break was basically cancelled one day at a time, as we watched even more snow come in and stay, until we were essentially housebound by 20th. Our wonderful nanny, Mary P., couldn't get to us, so I took extra days off work, and Tom used my home office to tele-commute. We still haven't seen her!



Then, on Saturday the 20th, I came down with what we think was noro-virus (the "cruise ship" virus) and was out of commission for three days. B2.0 got it next, and spent all day on the 24th throwing up. Somehow, we managed to have a picture-perfect white Christmas Day, though, with about 10" of beautiful snow on the ground, and falling through the morning.

K1.0 came down with the bug during the night of the 26th...and poor Tom nursed her all night long, washing his hands and cleaning so much that his hands are raw.

So, we were housebound, puking, and generally in an off mood by the time the thaw came around the 27th, or so.

On the 28th, we were able to head to my friend Charla's for a belated Christmas celebration with her family and Eric...we traditionally go to their house on Christmas Eve, but the snow and viruses put the kibosh on that routine.

Now, the snow is basically gone. The plow finally got to our residential street TODAY! And, we are expecting a big windstorm tonight...go figure.

But, really, I have to say that Christmas Day itself was truly amazing. I had been well enough the day before to whip the house back into shape, and was thankful that we had all the gifts wrapped and ready, and the grocery shopping taken care of. Tom was in charge of food, and he cooked a lovely assortment of sides to go with the smoked turkey that my dad shipped to us (a family fav. for sure). The snow was so beautiful, even if it caused such trouble, and we were able to go outside and enjoy it for a while late in the morning. The girls were both in really good moods, and we just spent the day enjoying one another and all of the new things from Santa. Tom and K1.0 had made a huge batch of gingerbread cookies and a gingerbread house while I had been sick (to keep busy), so they decorated them throughout the day.






Life, all things considered, was pretty good that day.

Of course, B2.0s birthday came too, but it was really a non-event. She was feeling puny again, and so was K1.0, so except for a few phone calls and gifts in the mail from family, we didn't do much to recognize the day. I had already decided to plan something for her in January, and with the crazy weather and everyone being ill, it's just working out better that way all around.

I guess I need to officially rechristen her Tot 2.0 now, since she is really not a baby anymore...whoa.

So, I'm glad the snow is off the roads now, really....we've been cooped up in this house for far far too long! But we made the best of a pretty challenging couple of weeks, and have spent more quality time with one another than we thought we could stand and lived to tell about it.

And so it goes.

For New Year's Eve, Tom and I are going to dinner in the city, and to a live taping of one of our favorite NPR quiz shows (are we geeks, or what). We'll be home by 10 PM, I'm sure.

Have a wonderful New Year's Eve/Day, if I don't talk to you before.

No comments: