Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Latté, Chai Tea or Me...

So, here in the land of sog, we are blessed/plagued by a wealth of hot beverage options, and a plethora of places to buy them.

In addition to the big coffee places, every mile or so there is a Foto-Mat-type booth (are you old enough to remember those?) in the parking lot of a gas station or strip mall with its own particular brand of hot steamy goodness—by which I mean not only the coffee, but the help.

These little independents try all kinds of tricks to bring in customers, and for years one of their ploys has been to hire attractive young women as barristas. Now there is a new gimmick vis à vis barrista wardrobe. 

This started a few years ago when a somewhat more rural coffee-stop had its barristas steaming the milk in bikinis. This caused enough uproar (believe it or not) to appear on the local news with the "Cafe-Mat" owner on one side ("hey, it's a very competitive business, and the girls like the extra tips") and the incensed mom with a mini-van full of impressionable 10-year olds quoting public nudity statues. (Hey, Mom—ever take the kids to the pool? or the beach?). So now, these drive-through coffee shacks often have a reader board advertising "family friendly" or "hot barristas", so you can plan according to your appetites (or the lack thereof).

All this by way of a little history, right?

So, the other day, I'm blithely driving down the road on my way home, when I notice one of my local Cafe-Mats has some new notices on the reader board; something like this:

Monday: School Girls
Tuesday: Twins Day
Wednesday: Lingerie
Thursday: Bikinis
Friday: Pasties

All I can say is I hope the owner (no doubt a man) allows the girls to crank the heat and keep a Tazer under the espresso machine.

Kisses!

No comments: