Thursday, December 27, 2007

Happy Birthday Baby!

Today my baby turns one.

There were so many funny comments when I was pregnant with a "Christmas Baby" last year -- people seemed to think I should be sad or upset about that. The pediatrician even gave me grief about it later, at her 2 week well-baby visit "Since you were dumb enough to have a baby in the middle of winter..."

But we don't always get to be choosey about these things, do we?


On Christmas 2005, I was pregnant, finally. It all came to a crashing end a few weeks later when the ultrasound revealed the embryo had implanted in my left tube. Two courses of methotrexate then an emergency surgery to remove the tube I was a wreck -- angry and depressed.

April found me pregnant again, confirmed on my birthday, which was also the same weekend as Easter. My due date was 12/25/2006 -- God's little joke on me!

On Christmas Eve 2006, I was in labor and sure I would have my baby by Christmas Day. I was completely at peace with a Christmas Day baby as I strolled the halls of the maternity center trying to encourage my labor. Santa and Mrs. Claus were visiting the rooms of the few new families that were there. I was so sure that would be me.

Again God laughed at my "plan" and my labor stalled so completely that Pitocin wouldn't restart it -- I was discharged at 4 AM to come home and spend Christmas Day with Aspen and no new baby. Boy, was she confused!

The morning of Dec. 27th it started all over again. I was up early, around 6 AM, timing my contractions, rubbing my belly, and watching the snow fall from my front windows. I was serene and peaceful, like the snow, confident this was be the real thing. And it was....at 2:10 PM, Genoa was born.

So, Happy Birthday my precious baby! It is snowing again today, and I am smiling in my memories of you and my wishes and hopes for your growing life and spirit.

3 comments:

lizard said...

Happy Birthday, dear Genoa. Such amazing pleasure to watch you thrive.

How glad I am you're here with us and that all was eventually well with your mama's pregnancy and delivery. Stressful for all concerned.

Auntie Beth said...

Happy Birthday, Genoa! She IS beautiful and it's wonderful to see you all so happy! Love "Auntie" Beth

Baby Island said...

Happy Birthday Andrea!