Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Busy, with a capital "B"

Oh my God...I can't believe it's been a full month since I posted last!

So, let me catch you all up on the happenings around here. You may have heard about some of this via phone or other communication method, but I'll do the scoop here too.

Where to begin...

1SG (Ret.)

On the 10th, by BIL and Sis had a huge party to celebrate his retirement after 21 years of military service (Army and Army Guard). All I can say is "Tanks for the memories" (groooooan). What a party! Those Cav guys and their friends really know how to have a good time. I stayed up until 3:30 AM for the first time in years without there being a sick kid involved. After the formal program was over, we danced in the rented ballroom for a good hour or so, then moved a smaller version of the party to a local establishment for another couple of hours, then back to the hotel bar. I am so proud of my BIL and Sis for getting through this, and they have such a wonderful family. They really deserved the celebration.

...but wait, there's more




The Big 5!

It's true, kid 1.0 had her 5th birthday this weekend. We threw a huge shindig (by our standards) with 10 kids plus adult friends and family. I think we had 28 people!

The weather was absolutely perfect, about 80deg and sunny, which is nigh unheard of this time of year, so we had the whole party outside. Of course, once we realized the weather was going to cooperate so nicely, we took one look at our seriously shabby, weedy, swampy yard, and had a major moment of "this is so not good". Tom and I spent every spare moment on Thursday, Friday and Saturday up to one hour before the party weeding, planting, trimming and mowing. Major thanks to the Mary P.,for helping out with the kids, and tackling a good bit of cleaning inside too.

Kid 1.0 was absolutely in her element—queen of the May—and was a very good little guest of honor and hostess. Her party theme was "pet shop" (dogs, cats, fish, birds), because I couldn't figure out how to pull together an "all bird" party, what she really wanted. That said, she got a lot of bird-themed gifts, so it worked out just fine.

Baby 2.0 threatened to steal the show with cuteness, but we all managed to remember it was big sister's special day.

Kid 1.0 got so many great gifts, many of them things to do, like art projects or kits, and games. She has been having a great time with her new toys, and we've put some of the things aside for the inevitable rainy day when we need something new and different to keep us all sane.

...but wait, there's more



The floors, the floors...

As good Americans we felt it was our duty to stimulate the economy with our tax rebate :-) so we had the floors in both bathrooms and our hall replaced, starting on Monday. The plumber who pulled the toilet and bidet from our bath was the most stimulated of all!

Our bathrooms are now sporting brand-new, environmentally friendly Marmoleum (no marmots were destoyed...), and the entry and hall are now the same cherry-finish laminate we have in the kitchen and family room. Did I mention this all started on Monday?!? Soooo...we had to prep everything for the flooring guys after the major party-prep this weekend! Tom pulled up the cracking tile in the entry, and I hauled everything out of the bottom of all the closets, cleared the bathrooms, and hoped that no one would end up with carpet staples in feet or paws. I am really pleased with the end result though, and it was worth it to get rid of the crummy hall carpet, and the old grungy vinyl in the baths.

...and I think that's enough for one night.

No comments: