Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July and other fun

So, it's been two weeks again. I have been so busy, I hardly have had time to come up for air. I've been working long extra hours since the other designer on staff went on maternity leave. That, plus involvement in church committees, kid 1.0 out of school and other miscellany have left me feeling I don't have a spare minute—and all while seriously sleep deprived, due to a very night-wakeful baby 2.0.

That said, we have managed to have a bit of summer-time fun around here.

Happy Independence Day!

For the last few years, we've attended 4th of July festivites in another community just south of us. We started the day with the Firehouse pancake breakfast, which is always fun. The kids get to crawl into the various emergency vehicles and do some arts-n-crafts projects. Then we spent the next few hours walking by the river, looking at the local wildlife (feral chickens and rabbits) and hanging out at the playground.

Finally, the parade started a little after 11:00 with a Children's Parade—a gazillion kids with various vehicles from strollers to scooters all decked out for the 4th. Best of all, they throw about 2 tons of candy out into the crowd. Kid 1.0 filled up her firefighter's hat from the breakfast in about 10 minutes. Baby 2.0 was agog. At noon, the "real" parade started, complete with politicians, car clubs, church groups, community bands, etc. Although, I have to say, without horses or hookers, the parade didn't quite seem to be complete to me. They do have pirates though, so that is a plus, except for the damn canon they shoot off. It always scares the pants off the kids, and baby 2.0 nearly crawled right out of her skin, even though I shielded her and covered her ears.

Baby 2.0 actually fell asleep on my lap about 1 hour into the parade, she was just so overwhelmed and tired. But we had a great time.

but wait, there's more...


Yo-ho yo-ho, the pirate's life for me...
After some pleading and negotiation, I managed to work it out with Tom to have a day to myself at home on Saturday. So, he and his mom took the kids to see the Tall Ships Festival. I guess the kids had a great time looking at the original and replica sailing ships, ala HMS Bounty, and talking with pirates and similar characters. Tom said he could see an "alternate reality" (sans kiddos) where we hung out in the beer garden and toured all the ships one-by-one.

Meanwhile, I got a pedicure, cleaned both my bathrooms at once, read a book and took a nap.

A good day for all, I'd say.

but wait, there's more...


Does anyone have the Tooth Fairy's 411?

Last, but not least, kid 1.0 has her first real-live loose tooth. She discovered it last week, and was so excited she actually shrieked, then burst into tears. I was working at the time, but heard all the commotion and came out to see what was up. For the next few meals, my little drama queen made a big deal about not being able to eat because it hurt her tooth—no doubt an exaggeration as I haven't really heard anything about it since. Her biggest fear? That Daddy will threaten to tie her tooth to the doorknob with a string and slam it shut (sound familiar PawPaw?).

and that's all for now!

No comments: