Sunday, August 17, 2008

We're havin' a heat wave...

It's been hot here, at least by local standards. We've had several days in the high 80s/low 90s and I think we are about done with that. Because this is a rareity, homes generally don't have AC, so it does wear you down after a little bit. That said, if this doesn't happen once or twice in the summer, I don't feel like we've had a warm season, so I usually welcome it.





Last week, Tom took a day off of work, and we took the kids to the zoo. We had a lot of fun, and Baby 2.0 really seemed to like it. Kid 1.0 is an old hand with the zoo, and led us right to her favorites. The only downside was B2.0's complete meltdown after 3 1/2 hours on the run. I had to carry her from one end of the zoo to the other, back to the car, because she wouldn't sit in the stroller, and wouldn't walk, either at that point. I'm so glad I've been working out!

Here are a few pics from our zoo adventure.




Finally, here's an update on the girls' swimming progress. K1.0 has just graduated to the "Advanced" class, which is the last level in the program, unless we choose to have her do competitive swimming. She can swim the length of their pool on her own, and has learned the rudiments of the basic strokes. I'm so proud of her. She has been swimming since before she could sit up by herself, so she is truly a water baby.

Baby 2.0 has moved into Toddler Resistance Mode...she hates being on her back, and has a complete canary when we do the life-jacket safety drills. But, she does love being in the water, handles the dips reasonably well, and loves the songs that go along with the class. She is progressing exactly as we would expect for her age. I love sitting at the pool and watching both girls swimming at the same time—it's like "before" and "after" for the program.

Summer will be over soon...and I'll be sad to see it go. K1.0 starts school on Sept. 3. and I'm already wondering if I'll survive putting her on the school bus that first day.

Love to all!

No comments: