Monday, September 1, 2008

The unofficial end of summer

It's Labor Day today (observed), and we've had a great weekend, wrapping up our summer fun.

Friday we headed off to the state fair, something which has become an annual tradition. I was so excited to set B2.0 up with her first real pony ride, I couldn't wait! She loves the various pony simulacrums we have around the house, so I thought she'd be thrilled to get on a real one...silly me. She loved looking at them, and was fascinated when K1.0 got on for her ride, but the minute I tried to hoist her into that saddle it was all over. So, no pony ride pic this year for her, I'm afraid. Actually, that trend continued throughout the day—K1.0 was all over the animals, as she always is, fully enjoying them, petting all the critters in the kiddie farm etc. B2.0 was content to look at them and completely freaked out by the thought of actually touching them. The one exception was a hen in the petting farm. B2.0 actually stood over the unsuspecting foul, looming like a tiny vulture, then swooped in with both hands to push the poor hen down to the ground...then let go, giggled, and did it again. I was beside myself!

Chicken attack!

K1.0 had a few rides in the kiddie midway. She really took a risk this time and let me accompany her on the tiny Wild Worm mini-coaster. She was scared at first, but then as Mommy giggled, she got into the spirit of it and enjoyed the ride, at least for the first 2 laps. By the 3rd lap, she was glad for it to be done. The bumper boats and cars-go-round are much more her speed. We had lunch, bought a few ridiculously over-priced inflatable ponies, and called it a day. B2.0 was asleep before we left the fairground.

My two little chicks!

Saturday we had a really nice visit from Tom's dad and his wife. Grandad and Grammy took us to lunch and then we enjoyed several really pleasant hours on the beach. Grammy was a super-trouper, playing with the girls in the sand, digging up seashells and stones. Grandad impressed K1.0 (and me) with his seashell and seaweed identification skills. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, and everyone was in very good spirits.



Playing at the beach with Grandad and Grammy

Yesterday and today I was able to get some nice time to myself for things like a haircut and pedicure, and my semi-weekly workout. Tom was a huge help.

And now comes the formal beginning of the next 13 years of K1.0's life. On Friday, we finally found out that she will be in Mrs. T's class in AM Kindergarten. Tuesday at 9 AM, we have Kindergarten orientation, and in the evening at 6:30 is the all-school open house. Then, Wednesday, bright and early, K1.0 gets on the bus for her first ride to elementary school. She is very excited...I'm having some separation anxiety, which I know I will get over eventually.


K1.0 is learning to tie her shoes.

Actually, I am looking forward to beginning the school-year. I am hoping to find some mommy-and-me things to do with B2.0.

And so, I guess that is the news for now. I will report on the first days of school as soon as there is something to report about.

No comments: