Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

May the blessing of light be on you—
light without and light within.
May the blessed sunlight shine on you
and warm your heart
till it glows like a great peat fire.

A few years ago, our nanny, Mary P., started a tradition of a visit from Lucky O'Leprechaun on St. Patrick's day, complete with little gifts for the girls. Well, this year, I got to play Lucky (see below*), so I ran around yesterday laying in the supplies for making leprechaun ladders (strings of buttons and straw pieces on ribbons), shamrock-shaped notes for Lucky, and gifts for the kids from the little mischief maker. The girls strung and hung the ladders and wrote the notes yesterday, and we posted them around the house for Lucky. Then, after they were safely in bed, I spent a few hours drafting a set of treasure-hunt clues to post at the little ladders to lead the girls to their leprechaun treasure. A good time was had by all this morning, and Aspen led the charge on the treasure hunt, and found the goodies in due time. A breakfast of green bagels (and I mean bright green) followed, and then we somehow managed to get ready for school and out the door in time for the bus—all before 8:30 AM!

Now that I've started things off right on St. Patty's Day, we'll move on to the grittier side of life.

March has been a cluster (fill in the blank).

Tom is traveling a lot this month.

*My wonderful nanny, known to you all as Mary P., has pneumonia, and has been out of commission for over a week so far. She'll be out until the last week of March, which means that I've hired a temp-nanny (we'll refer to her as Mary P. II) so that I can work and get on with life generally speaking.

Kid 1.0 has already has had one 1/2 day and a full day off of school this month, and now has 1/2 days this whole week, for parent conferences. Then she has the whole week of March 30 off again, for spring break. I swear, she is out of school more than she is in! By the way, her report card was glowing, and her teacher just loves her; and I'm terribly proud.

Tot 2.0 is taking it all in stride, since she is only 26 months old, and doesn't have much influence on the world yet, although God knows she tries. After having spent the last 5 months or so refusing to wear clothing except under extreme duress, she has now moved onto the stage where she happily dresses herself in at least 3 layers or more. At least I don't worry about her freezing on the way to the bus stop in the morning any more. And some of her combos are to-die-for!

I treated myself last Saturday to a haircut and color, to take my gray hair down to a 50-50 mix, rather than 75-25. I figure with only 1 month to go until I turn 40 (YIKES), I'm worth it! If it were only that easy to drop the 20 pounds I need to get rid of. And, on that front, I also bought myself some new jeans, in yet another size smaller...and that felt better than the hair color!

I keep hoping spring will show up soon, but the weather here has been so atypical, spring might not show up until July (and that would be different because.........).

So, that's it for now, except to say I love you all and my the Luck of the Irish be yours.

Kisses!

No comments: