The business of school started at 9 AM on Tuesday, with kindergarten orientation. So I got the kiddos up and ready, and out we went to meet Mrs. T and see K1.0's room, etc. We were really excited to find out that there were 2 kids in the class from her preschool, so that helped smooth the way. After we got K1.0 settled, they sent the parents off to the library (and B2.0 with me) for rah-rah from the principal and to meet the school staff. B2.0 spent the next 30 minutes unshelving about 40 books to keep herself busy while the grown-ups talked. I looked at the school librarian at one point and quietly mouthed "I'm sorry"...but she was great about it. We left the books on the table when we were done, and I promised the librarian to volunteer for an hour to reshelve books another time.
Meanwhile K1.0 and her class had been read a book and talked a little about what to expect the first day. She was very excited as we left.
We were back at the school at 6:30 PM (a terrible time for us) for the all-school open house. I took K1.0 around to see the library, technology/computer lab, gym, playground and lunch-room. We dropped off some supplies and paperwork in Mrs. T's room, had a quick ice cream courtesy of the PTA, then headed home for bed-time.

First day of school—and all attitude!
Bright and early on Wednesday AM (6:30 to be exact) K1.0 levitated out of bed; too excited to sleep one minute more. We got through the routine, and I wrestled B2.0 into her clothes and into the stroller to head out for the bus. I had asked K1.0 if she wanted me to take her on the first day, but she was all gung-ho for the bus ride. So, at 8:35 we headed out, with the dog in tow. All of the neighborhood kids were there already, and we arrived just in time for a group photo at the bus stop.
Waiting at the bus stop. Kid 1.0 is in the back, far right.
A few minutes later, the bus arrived, and K1.0 climbed on. By then, our nanny, Mary P. had joined us, so we all walked back to the house, then I jumped in the car to shadow the bus up to the school and make sure all went OK. I hadn't planned to, but well, mommy-anxiety got the better of me. So I parked the car at the school, and watched for her bus, then watched her get off and line up with the other kindergarteners, under the watchful eye of a yellow-vested helper. At that point, I showed myself to her, explained I just wanted to make sure she got to school OK, kissed her, and said I'd see her at the bus stop later.
And she's off!
Wow...
I went home to work, very distracted, and counting down until I would go back up to the bus stop at noon to meet her. I knew she would be the only child getting off at our stop at midday, so was a little worried about that, unnecessarily, of course.
Mary P., B2.0, Delli and I met K1.0 at the bus, and she was tired but glowing. She told us that she was sitting at a table with one of her preschool friends. The first day, they got to visit the computer lab and learn about that. She didn't have much else to tell, but was a little tired and hungry for sure. Later, she told Mary P. that school was "boring". A bit of a surprise, so I figured she was just trying out the word.
Thursday, we did it all again, of course; and again, K1.0 said she thought school was boring, except for the assembly they had...and Friday was boring, too, except they got to see the library for the first time.
So, my 5-year old thinks school is boring after 3 days...and 13 years to go.
I am really hoping this is about getting used to the routine, and having to be one of 25 kids in a class with a tight schedule and rules. Otherwise, I'll be calling Mrs. T in a few weeks to see what we can do to help her out.
But I have some more big news to share...
On Friday afternoon, after school, we were all having a little quiet time after the long week, which means I was down with B2.0 for her nap, and K1.0 was amusing herself in her room with music and books. Pretty soon she came flying into my room to announce that she had lost her first tooth! And sure enough, the tooth was in her hand, and there was a hole in her mouth where it used to be. As far as we know, she's the first in her class, so this should add greatly to her kindergarten caché.
Another sign of growing up.
And that, I think, is about enough for one night.
No comments:
Post a Comment