Kid 1.0's great aunt bought her a "ladybug cove" kit awhile back...and we've finally gotten the ladybug larvae to populate it. The timing is actually really great because her class is just starting their science unit on animals (goldfish, pill bugs, earthworms, etc.) and the ladybugs development will fit right in as a home study project. We are having fun watching them develop under their little clear dome. Did you know that larval ladybugs look like tiny black alligators with yellow spots? I had no clue.
K1.0 is also now an award-winning artist. In celebration of its 25th anniversary, our city sponsored a coloring contest for kids. K1.0 submitted her entry and was a winner in her age group! So, on Sunday we headed down to town hall for the festivities, which included one of our favorite kid's bands, face painting, balloon animals and birthday cake. K1.0 took it all in stride when the band announced her name as one of the winners, and was very happy to go up on stage and receive her gift. A photo of her artwork is below. She drew in our SUV herself, as well as the people behind the fence...one of whom is one of the folks at the city Parks and Rec dept. who she knew from her preschool.
The Prize-Winning Work
"I'd like to thank the Academy..." After the Olympics, K1.0 decided she would rather try gymnastics this year instead of returning to dance, so I found a club nearby and enrolled the kids. So, on Saturday mornings, B2.0 is in a parent-tot class with me or Tom, and K1.0 is in the big gym downstairs. B2.0 loves playing on lilliputian versions of the bars and rings, etc; and K1.0 is improving with each class, trying her hand on scaled-down equipment too. During their class time, the gym is full of older girls, going through their practices, and it is amazing to watch them. They run and flip with such ease, the way you or I walk across the street. It's truly inspiring to watch, and I think K1.0 sees that too. Nastia better watch her back!
Tom has been working on a project to build a sailboat for the girls. He's moved from plans on paper, to a paper model, and finally to a balsa model, which he finished last night. He'll let K1.0 paint it to her own specs soon; then move on to full-scale, about 9ft. long when complete. It will be complete with a tiny cabin and a crow's nest on the mast with a teddy bear to stand the watch.
Balsa model of HMS Ladybug
(working title)
As for me, nothing much has changed. I've volunteered to be an "Art Docent" in her classroom, which is the only way the kids in our district get formal art lessons now. Once a month, one of the docents goes into the classroom and presents a prepared lesson on a masterwork, followed up with a hands-on project for the kids. I am really looking forward to this, and hope to make it worthwhile for her class when it's my turn.
I guess that's really about all for now. I hope the change of season is inspiring you in some way.
No comments:
Post a Comment