So, in follow up to "school's boring", I am glad to report that K1.0 has tumbled off the bus the last few days excited about school.
We had curriculum night last night, which was very interesting. Of course kindergarten has changed a lot since I was there, so it was fun to see what's new. The classroom is full of technology, and the kids have a computer class once a week.
Of course, we thought filmstrips were the best when I was a kid (and we loved the smell of a fresh "ditto" worksheet)!
They also have PE, library, and music as well, each one day a week. On the day they don't leave their room, each child has a 5th grade reading buddy who comes to the class to read and do a related project.
That's all well and good...but there are some things I'm not thrilled about, too, of course.
Half-day kindergarteners do not get any recess breaks or play time really. The curriculum is designed more for the full-day kids [Note that full day is 1) optional, 2) by lottery, and 3) something you have to pay for] so the 1/2 days are super packed, and the kids get shorted on some of their experiences. Also, our school has capacity-full K classes and even had to hire a K teacher last minute, but there is a new school not far away with empty (literally) classrooms, due to redistricting. Very annoying.
I had an interesting conversation with a neighbor about the lack of recess...a woman who has kids at the school, and also works there. When I said that I thought it was too bad that the kids didn't get play time, she said "why would you want her to have recess...they don't have the time". I thought that was really over the top. I mean honestly, this is kindergarten ...do we have to make it boot camp?!? I know that the lack of free play is definitely one of the reasons that K1.0 was bored over the first few days. She was super disappointed about it, too.
My 2-bits...
On to me :-)
Let's chat about the notion of "portion control". So, I'm really pretty good with portions. I've had to be reminded of a few things, but now I'm back to double-checking and reading labels. And, when done routinely, this really does work...except for one thing.
When it comes to anything sweet, in my world a "portion" equals "what's in the house". If there is one cookie in the house, I'll eat it. If there are 15 cookies in the house...gone...and now I also have the full awareness of the number of calories involved in that little overindulgence.
Oh, I know what I'm doing, right? I buy the box of cookies with the full awareness of the portion size and caloric content; and I work one serving into my plan for the day; a nice little treat after the girls are in bed.
So, I eat my two cookies for 150C (on a plate, not straight from the box, not at the counter). A little while later, I figure, "hey, I worked out today, I can have a few more", and back to the kitchen I go...and so on.
I think I'm going to have to declare my house a dessert-free zone, because honestly, there is no hope for me. I can moderate booze, carbs, and anything else, but not sweets.
Quite pitiful, really.
On that note, I think I'll go have another scoop of ice cream—it's "lite" after all :-)
P.S. The Tooth Fairy did visit K1.0 the night she lost her first tooth...and left 8 whole quarters! We put one in the "Hope Chest" for church (a charity collection), the headed off to the dollar store where she picked out a Pixie coloring book with her remaining loot. She very specifically said that she wanted to pay at the counter, and handed over her coins to the lady with great ceremony. It was so cute...and she was really excited when she got some change back! Then, I convinced her to put the change in her piggy bank "for later".
No comments:
Post a Comment