Saturday, March 22, 2008

Check which way the wind is blowing first



I have been mulling over some things lately that have reminded me of the Jim Croce lyric "don't spit into the wind".

I offer these few thoughts:
  • I believe that while we have the freedom to use any words in the lexicon, we have the responsibility to choose them carefully. Otherwise we may alienate those we are speaking to or about. That may not matter in some situations, but can be devastating in others.

  • I believe it is OK to be honest in your views and to state your opinions, but I do not believe that we need be disrespectful, vulgar or rude in doing so.

  • I believe that while honesty is usually the best route, at times it's better to bite your tongue instead.

  • Finally, I believe that we all have the right to vent vitriol from time to time. In doing so, however, we need to recognize that there may be consequences, and they may be farther reaching then we had think.
In closing, consider your audience and choose your words carefully, lest you spit into the wind and get smacked in the face with a loogie.

That, and $3.50, will get you a latté.

No comments: