Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Political SNAFU

What to write about today...hmmm.
Easter is over, but winter is not, at least according to the local forecast. We are in a very short lull before Tom starts an absolutely crazy travel schedule over the next 5-6 weeks. Everyone is essentially healthy. The dog even got some attention today. Geez...I guess that leaves politics (muahhhh-haa-haa-haa).

Governors Gone Wild
I was musing on the gubenatorial shennanigans in NY state the other day. How odd that Gov. Spitzer got booted for pulling a Gary Hart (you remember that, right?)—although with a professional—then along comes the Lt. who is lauded to the hills as 1st black Gov., 1st legally blind Gov. ,etc. Paterson is sworn in, then he and his wife hold what must have been the most uncomfortable press conf. since Nixon's resignation, announcing that they had both had extra-marital affairs. My God...I understand the notion of the preemptive strike (having been raised in the nook-yu-lar age) but that pretty well took the cake for me.

Paterson may be a capable individual, but I am sure this will be remembered in one of two ways...
  1. Those who agree with/admire his term of office will think of him as courageous and honest in his confession
  2. Those who don't will think of him as a dishonest philanderer...
Time will tell.
But wait, there's more...

Follow the Money

Obama has released his returns. On NPR today, they gave us the highlights, basically that his book deals have moved him into the millionaire's club in the last few years. Interesting to note: when the family was only making $250K/year, their charitable deductions were less than 1%. Now that he's worth a cool mill., they've gone up to about 6%. Way to be your brother's keeper, Barak! No wonder you had problems with the pastor; that's a pretty skimpy tithe!

Of course, the Clinton's returns are still under lock and key. I imagine they are vetting all interested parties and prepping the spin. It'll be interesting to see if there are any major reveals when they are released.

Only time will tell...(& I'm a Democrat for God's sake)

But wait, there's more...


All in the Family

As if the Obama/Cheney family tree branch wasn't weird enough, that bastion of savvy political commentary, MSNBC.com, outed today that Obama is related to Brad Pitt, and H. Clinton to Angelina Jolie.

According to the AP article, genealogist Christopher Child stated that "McCain's ancestry was more difficult to trace because records on his relatives were not as complete as records for the families of Obama and Clinton." I wonder what that means.

Only 8 months to go 'til the election folks!

And on that ludicrous note, I'll sign off for the evening.

Post Script: I've changed the "comments" settings for the blog, so you do not have to have a Google account to comment now. Just click on the link # Comments at the bottom of the post, next to the little envelope icon, and tell me what ya think! Remember, comments can be viewed by everyone, so act accordingly.

No comments: