Monday, March 3, 2008

The week in review, and a fairy-tale by Kid 1.0

Oh my gosh, what a week! Things were sailing along just fine until...

...Tuesday—After nursing a mild cold for a few days, baby 2.0 had an ear infection come on suddenly, resulting in throwing up (from the pain, poor baby) and a rush to the pediatrician. Now she is on a 10-day course of antibiotics, which she is very adept at spitting out. (Why do they make it bubblegum flavored for infants who've never tasted bubblegum?) The wall near her changing table, where we hog-tie her to give her the meds, is covered in pink polka dots.

...Friday—At 9 AM, I started to feel what I thought was a plugged duct (yes, I still breastfeed baby 2.0). By 2 PM, it was apparent I had a case of mastitis coming on, of all crazy things. I called Tom to come home, stat, started calling both my general doc and my OB to see who would call in the Rx first (preferably without an office visit), and settled in for a siege. I spent the weekend in pain, alternating between chills and fever, and trying to sleep—which is a bit like searching for a pot-of-gold when you have small children at home. Tom spent the weekend getting to know his girls better :-). I'm feeling better today, except for side-effects from the antibiotics which I'll be taking for another week...oh, joy.

Things are mostly back to normal today.

Anyway, I forgot in the midst of it all that kid 1.0 wrote a charming little story last week about her 2 small stuffed lions. She had dressed one all up in ribbons and made a set of paper wings for it, then christened it "Pretty Rose Queen Anne Lion". She dictated the following tale to Mary P. (the nanny), which I recount here, verbatim.



"The Story of My Lion, Pretty Rose Queen Anne Lion"

Once upon a time there was a Queen Lion. She was as wise as the world and the ocean.

She was so pretty and her father did not even notice her when it was time for her to marry.

The wedding was a white with pride just as she expected.

She really fell in love with her prince lion—whose name was Prince Fred. He was as polite as the princess...I mean the queen.

The queen was so happy that she ran to him to give him a love hug. He gave her a love hug back.
They loved each other. They did good things for each other.

She had a wonderful time dancing at the wedding. She got so tired so she took a little rest on her royal bed.

When she woke up she found herself in the royal dining room. She thought that was so strange. She asked the royal guard, "Who moved me here?"

She saw a little girl from the palace who was making food. She took the little girl to the royal garden to see the beautiful butterflies who were flying and flying. If you whistle they will come down onto your finger and let you pet them gently. So she whistled and the butterfly landed on her finger. It came near her to get a little drink of flower nectar.

They then went back into the Queen's room in the castle to play and make jokes up.

***The End***

How's that for a nearly five-year old! Her imagination constantly surprises me, as does her vocabulary. I am so proud.

And now for follow-up on a previous story...
Sister Sunshine, who I mentioned in the "Frame of Reference" post below has gotten her lab results back, and the lumps were benign! Thank God!...and thanks to those of you who sent a good thought her way.

No comments: